Manila Food 20 Filipino dishes you need to try!

One of the first things I repeatedly heard from tourists in Manila is how much they dislike the food in The Philippines. After spending some time in the country I couldn’t have disagreed more. The food here is awesome!

If you’re ever in Manila and looking to sample some local eats here’s a Filipino food list to get you started: 20 Filipino dishes that I was wise enough to take a photo of and totally recommend. Enjoy


1. Fresh Lumpia

fresh-lumpia
fresh-lumpia
The fresh version of lumpia is a bit like a spring roll crossed with a burrito. It’s big and fat and filled with meat, lettuce, carrots, peanuts, I think there was even some coconut in there. On the side there’s a sweet sauce, or you can opt for vinegar. It’s pretty awesome. Don’t forget to try the deep fried version – even more awesome.


Get it at: The Legazpi Sunday market (corner of Legazpi St and Rufino St)




2. Chicken Sotanghon

Chicken-Sotanghon
Chicken-Sotanghon


It kind of feels like The Philippines version of Grandma’s chicken soup. It’s got your chicken, shitake mushrooms, carrots, green onions, vermicelli noodles, who knows what else. All I know is that it’s super tasty and you need to try it.



Get it at: Recipes at Greenbelt 3 (most other Filipino restaurants also serve it).




3. Beef Mechado

Beef-Mechado
Beef-Mechado




I can’t decide if I like this. It’s prepared by taking a decent cut of beef, stuffing it with pork fat and then slow cooking it in a tomato sauce. Some potatoes and carrots are chucked in too. Sounds awesome right? I think it was a little too tomatoey for my liking, but it’ll grow on me.

Get it at: Fely J’s in Greenbelt 5


4. Paksiyo Baboy Bisaya (Pork and Banana Claypot)

Paksiyo-Baboy-Bisaya-Pork-and-Banana-Claypot
Paksiyo-Baboy-Bisaya-Pork-and-Banana-Claypot


Shanks of pork simmered in a soy based sauce with bananas. It tastes as wild as it sounds. I freakin’ love it!

Get it at: Fely J’s in Greenbelt 5


5. Leche Flan

Leche-Flan
Leche-Flan

While eating this I was trying to figure out how it was any different to creme caramel, because to me it tasted exactly the same. After some Googling I learned that the custard in this is thicker because they use condensed milk and more egg yolks. I couldn’t really taste the difference, which I guess means I’m a few years away from being a judge on Top Chef. Anyway, I had to include this on the list; it’s one of the country’s favourite desserts!

Get it at: Any Filipino restaurant


6. Chicharon

Chicharon
Chicharon

Chicharon are like the Doritos of The Philippines. They snack on it like finger food and open a big bag of them while sitting down for a movie. Basically it’s deep fried pork skin, and aside from eating it on its own they also garnish various dishes with it. What’s it taste like? Well, kinda like a bag of very porky tasting Munchos, which I’m not really the biggest fan of. The locals however, absolutely love it.

Get it at: You will find it in most supermarkets and markets. 


7. Lechon

Lechon
Lechon

So, I used to think the Chinese made the best pork.

That is until I tasted lechon. Damn! Them Filipinos know how to cook a pig. This juicy, crispy masterpiece is something I won’t even try to describe. I had the privilege of attending a local baptism and they served up this freakin’ life changing roasted pig, I could’ve eaten the whole thing! Apparently the best lechon is from Cebu city, which is going to be my first stop on my next trip to The Phils. If I had to choose the best Filipino food on this list – this one would be pretty close to taking the spot.

Get it at: Sabroso Lechon, one of my favourites (corner of E Rodriguez Ave and Tomas Morato)


8. Bibingka

Bibingka
Bibingka

This is a type of cake made with coconut milk and baked in a banana leaf. I guess the idea is it’s supposed to end up tasting like coconut and banana, which it kinda does. You’re supposed to eat it hot, but not before lathering it with butter and coconut. The texture really reminded of a crumpet, especially with the melted butter seeping through it. I’m a fan.

Get it at: A franchise called Bibingkinitan, or various street stalls around the city


9. Kare Kare

Kare-Kare


This is a classic Filipino stew, consisting of oxtail, tripe, eggplant and Chinese veges. It has a strong peanut flavour and is served with shrimp paste on the side. It’s one of the flagship dishes here in The Philippines, but I can’t say I particularly enjoyed it. An acquired taste, perhaps.

Get it at: Most Filipino restaurants


10. Lomi

Lomi
Lomi

A classic dish from the Batangas area, this consists of flat egg noodles cooked in a very thick, eggy sauce. There’s also a whole bunch of other stuff in it depending on what variation you order (pork, seafood, chicken). It’s so thick that it’s almost like a cross between a noodle soup and a stew. On the side it’s complemented with a sauce of freshly diced onions, chili, calamansi and soy sauce. Put the two together and BAM! It’s seriously magic.

Get it at: Lomi King in Lipa, Batangas


11. Kilawin Na Tanigue

Kilawin-Na-Tanigue
Kilawin-Na-Tanigue

Kilawin is a dish where raw fish is marinaded in vinegar and lemon/lime juice. The high level of acidity cooks the fish and it’s flavoured with a bunch of other stuff like chili, capsicum, spring onion and tomato. You’re probably thinking it sounds very similar to ceviche or the Fijian kokoda, but the taste is rather different. I found ceviche to be very fishy, kokoda to be very spicy and kinilaw to be very sour. All catered for local tastebuds I guess.

Get it at: Most Filipino restaurants


12. Chami

Chami
Chami


After eating the Lomi I found out it had a little brother known as Chami. This is the dry version of the dish, and obviously I had to try it and see what it’s all about. It’s not really too different from a noodle stir fry, but it comes with a tasty dipping sauce/soup that I don’t remember the name of. Anyway, if we’re choosing between Lomi and Chami I’m taking Lomi any day of the week.

Get it at: Lomi King in Lipa, Batangas




13. Pancit Bihon Guisado

Pancit-Bihon-Guisado
Pancit-Bihon-Guisado


Bihon Guisado is a perfect example of great tasting, unpretentious Filipino food – some scallions, cabbage, celery, carrots, chicken and vermicelli tossed in soy sauce and topped with calamansi juice. Fast, cheap and awesome. Love it.

Get it at: Most Filipino restaurants




14. Crispy Pata

Crispy-Pata
Crispy-Pata



One thing you’ll notice when eating around The Philippines is that they’re completely obsessed with their pork, which is probably why they cook it so well. Enter the crispy pata – a pork leg/knuckle deep fried to perfection and then sided with chili, calamansi and a variety of dipping sauces. I ate it a couple of times, one homemade one and one from a restaurant. Needless to say the homemade one was mouth watering but the restaurant cooked one wasn’t too bad either. If you’re a pork man it might just change your life.





Get it at: Most Filipino restaurants. The crispy pata in the picture is from Kabila Museum Cafe at Ayala Museum, but I think it’s a little expensive for what you get. Manila food can be expensive in some areas – not that it isn’t worth it, but just make sure you’re aware!




15. Sinigang

Sinigang
Sinigang


If you’re a fan of sour soups like Thailand’s tom yum or Hong Kong’s hot and sour soup then sinigang is totally going to rock your world. I had one of these for breakfast almost every day during my month on Boracay. It’s a tamarind based soup with a whole bunch of other goodies in it, most commonly tomatoes, green beans, spinach, green mango and various other possibilities. I tried quite a few variations (pork and shrimp are the most popular), but I’d say the classic pork is probably my favourite. I can’t believe it’s taken me 27 years to try it.





Get it at: Most Filipino kitchens. If you’re a fan go and try the Corned Beef Sinigang at Sentro in Greenbelt 3.



16. Kaldereta

Kaldereta
Kaldereta


I’m always a sucker for hearty meaty stews so when I met my first Kaldereta we really got along. It’s a basic dish made by stewing cuts of meat in a tomato/liver sauce until tender, with a few carrots, potatoes and capsicums thrown in too. I’ve seen it with most meats but the lamb was easily my favourite.

Get it at: Most Filipino kitchens. Try the lamb kaldereta at Sentro in Greenbelt 3.




17. Adobo

Adobo
Adobo


Another Filipino classic, I saw this dish on pretty much every Filipino menu I set eyes on. It’s a basic meat dish which is simmered in a marinade of oil, soy sauce, vinegar and garlic, and sometimes later pan fried to give it a crispy surface. Like most dishes here they might often add a variation of other veges (onions, potatoes, capsicum). If you’re a budget traveler, this dish is always a tummy pleaser and usually very easy on the wallet.

Get it at: Any Filipino kitchen or jolly jeep.



18. Ginataang Papaya

Ginataang-Papaya
Ginataang-Papaya
Tried this bad boy at a jolly jeep and was so pleasantly surprised. Green papaya shaved into thin slices and cooked in coconut milk and pork bits. Who knew it could taste so good?

Get it at: You’ll have to look around the jolly jeeps and Filipino restaurants, I’m really not sure how popular it is!


19. Bacolod Chicken


Bacolod-Chicken
Bacolod-Chicken

Due to my fast increasing age and waistline I’ve been trying to eat grilled chicken wherever possible and turn a blind eye to KFC and Chicken McNuggets. My solidarity to this goal can waver rather easily but this wasn’t a problem in the Philippines thanks to the amazing bacolod chicken. I have no idea how they cook it, but from peeking into the kitchen I can tell you they employ a charcoal grill and probably brush some special sauce onto it, who knows. All I know is it tastes amazing. Don’t forget the soy sauce/calamansi/chili combo sauce on the side either.


Get it at: My favourite is Bacolod Express, but there’s various chains around the city.



20. Balut

Balut
Balut

After hearing about the infamous Balut over and over again I just had to try it. For those who have never heard of it, balut is a street food delicacy in the Philippines; a fertilised duck egg, boiled and eaten once the embryo is half developed. From Wikipedia:

“In the Philippines, the ideal balut is 17 days old, at which point it is said to be ‘balut sa puti’ (“wrapped in white”). The chick inside is not old enough to show its beak, feathers or claws, and the bones are undeveloped.”

When the guy handed it to me I nearly dropped it, it was scorching hot! After cracking the shell I saw a small amount of juice which you’re supposed to drink, so I did, which tasted very eggy. After that I just peeled it like a normal boiled egg and ate it. There were a few funny textures but nothing overly weird; in all honesty, it just tasted like a boiled egg. Talk about an anti climax. If you’re ever in The Philippines you should definitely try it, it doesn’t taste bad at all.

Get it at: At night you will hear the sellers riding around the streets on bikes screaming “Baluuuuuut!

Heading to Manila? a few tips:


  • For affordable accommodation in Manila, I highly recommend using Airbnb. There are many condo and apartment buildings in the city that are vacant and you can find lots of good offers that will be cheaper and more comfortable than hotels and hostels. You can get $25 of free Airbnb credit using this link.
  • I highly recommend purchasing travel insurance for the Philippines. Travel in the Philippines is not dangerous but many aspects can be unreliable and you should expect the unexpected. For an introduction to what travel insurance is, why you need and where to buy it, check out my post Travel Insurance 101: Everything You Need To Know.
  • For getting around the city I recommend using Uber! If you don’t speak Tagalog it can be difficult to communicate with some taxi drivers. Uber is far safer and more reliable. You can get your first ride on Uber for free by using this link.Have fun!